
Above is the famous scene in McLintock! where The Duke publicly spanks his estranged wife played by Maureen O'Hara with what looks like a shovel. It contains one of my all time favorite lines:
"Let's not let an old Indian raid ruin a good barbeque - Meat's ON!"
That's what I call a man's movie. What's funny about it is that this spanking scene was used for basically all the movie posters and promotions! The poster below even refers to the spanking - it "wallops the daylights" out of other Westerns. Noticed they at least had the decency to remove the shovel from McLintock's hand for the movie poster. That would be taking it too far, I guess.
It seems to be all in good fun, right? Well, The Duke looks dead serious here. Maybe Maureen has reason to be scared - she looks horrified. Of course, the crowd just stands around and chuckles at the public spanking. Ha, Ha, Ha.
Of course, McLintock! is not alone. You'd be hard pressed to find memoribilia for the film Kiss Me Kate that doesn't feature a woman receiving a spanking over a guy's knee.

This sort of thing would be roundly condemned today, and probably rightly so. But there is a certain degree of hypocrisy today - where a McLintock! poster would be prohibited, yet women are degraded at every turn in advertising. I touched on this on my previous post A Long Time Ago Everyone Hated Women. I'm in the business of nostalgia here at Retrospace and simply find this sort of thing interesting - I'll leave it to the sociologists to work it out.
It's pretty interesting to look at all the examples in comic books. One minute superheroes are rescuing damsels in distress, the next minute their spanking them. Below the Dark Knight spanks for the camera. Click here to see Superman do the same.
The Phantom clip below is pretty good, but the worst comic book spanking simply HAS to be in Superboy. Click here to see the public humiliation unfold before your eyes.
Let's also remember that TV was no safe haven for women getting swatted by their men. Desi regularly spanked his wife on "I Love Lucy" - a fact that has inspired the ire of many commentators. See 'em here.
And on a similar tangent....
The next film doesn't feature a public spanking - it does, however, feature two women knocking the crap out of each other on the movie poster.
The Legend of Frenchie King is what happens when the French try to make a Western. On the bright side, it stars Claudia Cardinale and Brigitte Bardot. On the down side, it's brought to you by K-Tel. I never knew they were in the movie business.
On a related note, read my post on Sexist Ads.
"Let's not let an old Indian raid ruin a good barbeque - Meat's ON!"
That's what I call a man's movie. What's funny about it is that this spanking scene was used for basically all the movie posters and promotions! The poster below even refers to the spanking - it "wallops the daylights" out of other Westerns. Noticed they at least had the decency to remove the shovel from McLintock's hand for the movie poster. That would be taking it too far, I guess.
It seems to be all in good fun, right? Well, The Duke looks dead serious here. Maybe Maureen has reason to be scared - she looks horrified. Of course, the crowd just stands around and chuckles at the public spanking. Ha, Ha, Ha.
This sort of thing would be roundly condemned today, and probably rightly so. But there is a certain degree of hypocrisy today - where a McLintock! poster would be prohibited, yet women are degraded at every turn in advertising. I touched on this on my previous post A Long Time Ago Everyone Hated Women. I'm in the business of nostalgia here at Retrospace and simply find this sort of thing interesting - I'll leave it to the sociologists to work it out.It's pretty interesting to look at all the examples in comic books. One minute superheroes are rescuing damsels in distress, the next minute their spanking them. Below the Dark Knight spanks for the camera. Click here to see Superman do the same.
The Phantom clip below is pretty good, but the worst comic book spanking simply HAS to be in Superboy. Click here to see the public humiliation unfold before your eyes.
Let's also remember that TV was no safe haven for women getting swatted by their men. Desi regularly spanked his wife on "I Love Lucy" - a fact that has inspired the ire of many commentators. See 'em here.And on a similar tangent....
The next film doesn't feature a public spanking - it does, however, feature two women knocking the crap out of each other on the movie poster.
The Legend of Frenchie King is what happens when the French try to make a Western. On the bright side, it stars Claudia Cardinale and Brigitte Bardot. On the down side, it's brought to you by K-Tel. I never knew they were in the movie business.
On a related note, read my post on Sexist Ads.
