The greatest television comedies come from the UK (i.e. The Office, The IT Crowd, Fawlty Towers), but some of the strangest shit I've ever seen also comes from there (i.e. Little Britain, Peep Show, The Mighty Boosh); not that it's bad - perhaps just too farcical for me to fathom.
Anyway, I say all this to introduce you to another example of a UK comedic oddity, namely Peter Sellers' spoken word renditions of Beatles songs. I'd brush it off as a lapse in judgement, but the album was fairly well received in England... and actually re-entered the UK charts in the early nineties! Apparently, Sellers reciting "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help" like Sir Lawrence Olivier reciting Richard III keeps the Brits in stitches.
Oh, well. Keeping in mind the fact that the U.S. produced both Gallagher and Carrot Top, we Americans should be the last to point fingers. So, on with the tracks - make your own judgement.
"A Hard Day's Night"
download
"Help!"
download

