This picture fits the topic nicely - a perfect combination of miniskirts and money. The economy and hemlines.... is there a correlation? This is the Eternal Question of the Ages.
Way, way back in the first Miniskirt Monday post I posed this question, and I thought maybe it was time to revive this old chestnut. Scholars and Perverts alike have pondered this economic legend: do hemlines really rise when the economy improves, and sink back down when the economy falters?
During the Roaring Twenties the hemlines when way up, and came way, way down during the Great Depression. Things went up again by the Swingin' Sixties and came falling back down during shit economy of the Ford-Carter years. Then, during the boom of the Reagan years, hemlines once again found their way above the knee. So, is it fact or fiction?
If you do a quick Google search, you'll find that the answer varies; no one seems to agree. In my personal opinion (indeed, I consider myself an international expert on miniskirts), they do correlate. But, here's the thing: consumer buying habits are sometimes incomprehensible. For instance, when there is a threat of a hurricane or tornado, people buy significantly more Pop-Tarts. You can attach any explanation to this you like, but the very real correlation remains.
In other words, I don't know why hemlines go up during economic upturns - we can speculate on the possible reasons all day. But I think we can safely say there's at least a correlation between the two.
